I help brands gain a competitive edge with innovative consumer research
SVP, Consumer Insights
Hill Holliday, 2011-present
Built an award-winning experimental consumer insights group that pioneers research methods to drive growth for Fortune 500 brands.
Delivered complex research projects
Designed and shipped more than 200 domestic and global research projects for current and prospective Fortune 500 clients in financial services, retail, fashion, healthcare, education, automotive, travel, electronics, and FMCG.
Projects included segmentation studies, brand evaluation and tracking, brand association studies, creative testing, social media monitoring, and analysis of online reviews.
- Identified drivers of brand choice and measured performance of regional portfolio brands relative to competition for a national brand of auto-repair stores.
- Planned and executed a 10-country brand tracker for a global fashion brand.
- Led research to identify core patient motives that supported an award-winning advertising campaign for a national pharmaceutical brand.
- Conducted product and packaging testing for a national confectionery brand.
- Designed and executed research to understand the reasons for under-performance of individual properties for a national destination brand using a combination of search trend data, social media, and surveys.
- Studied how customers' in-store usage of smart phones influenced their shopping behavior for a global retailer.
- Identified core motivating emotional needs of affluent individuals for a global wealth management company.
- Pinpointed the difference in subconscious motivations between loyals and switchers for a global QSR brand.
- Created and delivered social media intelligence products for a broad range of national and global brands: from a fashion label to an insurance company.
Pioneered research methods
Designed and implemented innovative research methods:
- COMET for assessing consumers’ emotional and functional needs
- CRYSTAL for pre-testing creative assets
- DESIRE GAP for evaluating brand equity
- CRAVE INDEX for assessing online attitudes toward a brand
- BRAND EDGE for measuring yield of marketing efforts
- BRANDSCAN for using social media data in brand research
- STAR TRACK for analyzing online product reviews for businesses with large retail footprint
Built an in-house consumer insights GROUP
Created Origin, a full-cycle consumer insights and innovation group. Services include consumer segmentation and profiling, user research, brand equity evaluation, ad effectiveness testing, and brand tracking. Origin attracts new projects with recurring revenue and saves Hill Holliday $700,000+ a year on internal research costs by leveraging its own supply chain. Recruited world-class researchers with backgrounds in cognitive psychology, behavioral economics, design, statistics, and engineering.
Developed a social listening practice
Created a social listening / computational anthropology practice that offered a suite of subscription intelligence products. Services included brand monitoring, campaign evaluation, network graph analysis to identify interest clusters, audience engineering, casting, barrier analysis, influencer targeting, and profiling of category-related consumer needs and motives.
Directed successful brand strategies
Directed brand strategy for successful new-business pitches: for a major financial institution (twice), for one of the largest staffing firms, for a major sports league, and for an award-winning launch of a new retail store.
VP, Research & Development
Hill Holliday, 2009-2011
- Co-founded a content practice to take full advantage of the opportunities associated with plummeting content production costs.
- Designed and conducted media deprivation studies that received national press coverage.
- Conducted experiments in viral media to measure propagation potential of various channels.
- Created prototypes of early mobile apps.
Emerging Media Strategist
Hill Holliday, 2006-2009
- Advised senior clients on how to use the emerging media effectively.
- Developed and conducted media innovation workshops.
- Developed interfaces for branded web and social apps.
- For a major retail client, created one of the first corporate blogs guest-written by customers. The blog is still on air.
- Built the case for an award-winning content program for an insurance client.
- Introduced social media ethnography as a consumer research methodology.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2004-2006
MSc in Comparative Media Studies
Co-founded the Convergence Cultures Consortium to advise brands on emerging media practices
- Directed national advertising for P&G and Wyeth brands.
- Designed and executed a national mystery shopper campaign for P&G, earning a top agency evaluation from the client.
- Planned interactive campaigns with a response rate of 25% above the category average.
Grey Sofia, 2003-2004
- Planned, budgeted and implemented comprehensive communication programs for European and American offices of a leading web design studio. Generated front-page coverage in the national press.
- Directed company’s university programs.
- Introduced social media listening as tool for corporate reputation research.
- Adopted paid search – Overture and, later, AdWords – as a major part of the paid media mix.
Netage Solutions, 2000-2003
American University in Bulgaria, 1996-2000
BA in Business Administration and International Relations
Fallon Minneapolis (2005): digital strategist for Time magazine, Brawny, National/Alamo, and The Bahamas
P&G București (1999): assistant brand manager on Old Spice and Secret